Winter Mountaineering Skills
Winter skills days are best suited to those with some basic summer hill walking or mountaineering skills. Experiences can range from first steps in the mountains in winter, through to in-depth instruction on advanced techniques and avalanche awareness.
We have a lot of experience in preparing people for Mountain Training qualifications such as the Winter Mountain Leader and can put together bespoke days to ensure you feel ready for such assessments.
Basic winter skills that are often covered include:
- Use of ice axe and crampons
- Personal movement skills on snow, ice and rock
- Winter navigation techniques
- Avalanche awareness
Advanced instructional days can include:
- Personal movement skills on steeper slopes (up to grade 1)
- Developing an in-depth knowledge of how to tackle winter scrambling terrain
- Use of the rope to create snow and rock anchors
- Advanced navigation training including group management techniques in poor visibility
Prices start from £175 per day based on a ratio of 1 instructor to 2 students.
Guiding Completing a famous mountain ridge traverse or topping out on a classic rock/ice route is an exhilarating experience. Adventure in Mountai…
Instruction We have years of experience shaping people’s first steps in the mountains be it in summer or winter. We can coach you right through fro…
About Adventure in Mountains is directed by Andy Hogarth who holds the highest UK based award for instructing climbing and mountaineering. Prior t…